Last Updated on May 19, 2022 by BTS 101
Hip Hop Monster
In August 2014, BTS launched a short-lived Webtoon called “Hip Hop Monster.” Each member had an animal character:
- Jimin – cat (top left)
- Jungkook – bunny (top middle)
- V – monkey (top right)
- Jin – wolf (bottom left)
- j-hope – horse (bottom left-middle)
- RM – duck (bottom right-middle)
- SUGA – turtle (bottom right)
You could buy merch with their characters on it and you will sometimes see them with this swag in their early Bangtan Bombs, especially stuffies. You can read a subbed version over at Bangtan Subs.
We On: Be The Shield
We On is a series of Webtoons released by BigHit in 2014 and 2015, featuring the members re-imagined as superheroes with various powers who have to come together to save the world. You can read English subbed versions of some of the issues on Bangtan Subs or on this Wattpad; see a full list of all issues on BTS Diary.
Naver – the biggest search engine in Southeast Asia – has a series of cartoon characters called Line Friends that it uses to promote their brand.
In 2017, they invited BTS to each design their own new character for Line Friends. This group of characters are called BT21 collectively. There is a series of animated episodes on YouTube featuring BT21, as well as a multi-part documentary on the BT21 channel showing BTS creating the characters. You can also buy literally anything with the characters on them, from blankets to clothes to pencil cases to phone cases to home decor items to…well, you name it. You can buy official BT21 merch from the Line Friends online store and they sometimes have items at Hot Topic in Canada/USA too; there’s tons of knock off stuff online as well if you’re willing to settle for that.
Although each member has his own associated character, it’s Jin’s character, RJ, that is the real standout. Jin adores RJ and travels everywhere with a large stuffed RJ that he sleeps with. He uses a lot of RJ merch and has gifted RJ keychains and other items to the staff, so you will see RJ popping up often! In Bon Voyage 4, Jin famously spotted a stuffed RJ in a shop window at the airport and could not resist immediately buying it, even though he already had his own RJ in his suitcase.
The characters are:
- white llama RJ (Jin)
- brown angry chocolate chip cookie Shooky (Suga) – is Cooky’s best friend
- purple/blue masked pony Mang (j-hope) – never removes their mask
- blue koala Koya (RM) – has removable ears
- puppy in a yellow hoodie Chimmy (Jimin)
- alien with a red heart for a head Tata (V)
- pink bunny Cooky (Jungkook) – is a workout king
- grey/white robot Van, who represents ARMY and is Tata’s intergalactic travelling companion; he was designed by the Line Friends designers and works in the comics to protect all the friends.
Tiny Tan are sweet little animated versions of BTS that are just adorable. They’re relatively new on the scene – BigHit introduced them in October 2019.
BigHit has released just a handful of Tiny Tan clips so far, featuring the miniature members being super cute as they help an ARMY girl find time to work on her music and to feel happy. There are full-length Tiny Tan videos for MIC Drop and 00:00, as well as other shorter pieces. All can be found on the Official Tiny Tan YouTube channel and you can buy Tiny Tan merch at the Weverse shop.
Want to join BTS in some video game action? You have a few choices.
BTS World was released in 2019. You role-play as the band’s manager and have to complete levels that more-or-less follow the path of their actual career. There’s also side quests for each member that are completely fictional and show each member in a non-band related role. There’s lots of great clips here of the members acting – all of them are pretty good! – and it’s a pretty fun game overall – but be warned, it takes up a LOT of data on your phone.
If you get into BTS World, here are a few invaluable links:
- BTS World website – announces when special challenges are coming up and includes stats on cards in the games so you can plan your strategy.
- BTS World Calculator – an indispensable tool that will allow you to enter all your cards and then will tell you exactly which combinations to use to pass the levels in the game.
- BTS World Conversation Master Spreadsheet – in the game, you sometimes have fake text-message conversations with members and your responses here can earn you bonus points if you pick the right one – this spreadsheet will give you the best possible answer in every scenario.
- Ask us! We at BTS 101 are passionate players of BTS World so if you’re new to the game and have a question, ask us on our contact page.
BTS Universe was released in 2020. It is a more unstructured game, loosely based on the fictional BU as defined in the Most Beautiful Moment In Life era. The idea is that you will guide the characters to help each other work through their problems, but you’re also free to program them to do lots of other things, which has led to some pretty funny clips online (and probably some content that isn’t really safe for public viewing). So far the game has stuck to the existing BU script but they have released new “chapters” in the story from time to time and may eventually move the story forward or even close it out.
Maplestory is an online role-playing game created in Korea that Jin loves. Many of the other members play from time to time, but Jin is known as the real devotee. In 2020, Jin and the rest of BTS did a collaboration with Maplestory where they built new characters and played the game; you can see this 3-part video series on the Maplestory YouTube channel and there is still some BTS content in the game itself.
Rhythm Hive is a note-matching and battle game where you collect cards, either via story levels or one-on-one battles with other players. You then upgrade those cards or use them as a set to unlock songs. This game features many of the extended HYBE acts and includes songs by BTS, Enhypen, TXT, and SEVENTEEN as potentials for unlocking. It was released in February 2021.
Free Fire is an online battle/shooting game and BTS had a collab with them in March 2022. They designed their own characters and skins, and these became available for purchase in the Free Fire shop. You can see several different videos of them designing their characters and playing the game on YouTube.
In The Seom is a matching and world-building game modelled on In The Soop – it’s kind of like Candy Crush but with absolutely adorable renderings of the members and recreations of some of their more legendary moments. You can see a cute series of videos of the members being involved in the design process on the In The Seom YouTube Channel. It will be released in the summer of 2022.
7 Fates: CHAKHO
7 Fates: CHAKHO is a fictional webtoon that features the members re-imagined as fighters for justice (inspired by the tiger hunters, or “chakhogapsa,” of the Joseon Dynasty in Korea). Set in a dystopian near future, the group must track and fight the Beom – evil tiger and bear spirits that are at war with humanity. You can see a live action trailer here, and a trailer for the webtoon here.
It was released in January 2022 on the Wattpad HYBE Stories Channel (as a novel, paid content for advanced access but will likely release the chapters to the general public at some point) and on the HYBE Webtoon Channel (as a graphic novel, chapters released weekly).
Although inspired by BTS, their characters in the webtoon have different names. They are:
- RM: Dogeon, a law enforcement officer and gun expert whose job is to track beom
- Jin: Hwan, an expert archer who is driven to hunt beom after his family is killed
- Suga: Cein, a man who was attacked by beom and who is recovering from his trauma with the help of his new friends
- j-hope: Hosu, a hunter who was kidnapped by beom and forced to do something unspeakable to earn his release – and now has mysterious golden eyes as a result
- Jimin: Haru, a spirit with special powers who was once the rock guarding the beom entrance to this world, and now has been brought to life
- V: Jooan, a hunter who tracks and kills beom, but who also is in love with one
- Jungkook: Zeha, a youngster who suddenly discovers after a beom attack that he is half-beom with special powers, but must keep it a secret from his new friends
Where to get merch: Weverse Shop and Third Parties
Weverse has its own shop for BTS merch and there you can buy things like Korean language learning materials, photo card sets, DVDs, ARMY Bomb lightsticks, and sometimes fun items like the BTS Viewfinder.
You can also purchase an ongoing subscription to Weverse to take it to the next level. Subscribed ARMY get access to special photo shoots and videos, and even get physical swag in the mail sometimes. They also sometimes get pre-purchase access to DVDs and online events.
To shop at the Weverse shop, you must install their shopping app on a mobile device – they do not support browser-based shopping. Prices are steep and shipping is killer, but it’s usually the only way to get your hands on these items. All items released on the Weverse shop except actual albums tend to sell out very quickly, so don’t dither around – if you want something, jump on it!
For in-person shopping in Canada, try these places (NOTE that ONLY albums purchased through Sunrise, WalMart, Indigo, LightUpK, or on Amazon (fulfilled and delivered BY AMAZON, not a third party reseller) count towards Canadian charting):
- LightUpK is a new online shop for 2022 that specializes in the North American market, especially Canada (yay!). Their sales apparently count towards Canadian charts as well.
- Sunrise Records – has started selling Kpop as of spring 2022 and will likely carry new releases going forward, both in their stores and on their website.
- WalMart often will get in a couple of copies of each new release for BTS and other big Kpop acts like Blackpink – these sell FAST, if you see one, grab it!
- Indigo is offering presales for Proof as of spring 2022 – this is a test run to see what kind of demand they get, so it’s not clear if they will continue to sell BTS albums or other Kpop albums going forward.
- Amazon.ca always has the latest release but make sure you are ordering the Fulfilled By Amazon version if you want your order to count towards Canadian charting – other listings are from resellers and won’t count for the charts.
- Hot Topic stores often have some cute BT21 merch, their stock changes often. It’s super pricey but at least you can shop in person and it’s often unique to their brand. Their website does not ship to Canada.
- FYE (For Your Entertainment) sells Kpop merch on their website and you can find albums in their physical stores
- In Toronto: Just You: Sarah and Tom Gift shop has tons of kPop stuff and will also ship if your order is large enough. If you’re in the TO area they also have a second physical shop, Just You Too.
- In Vancouver: KR Multimedia has tons of great stuff and will also ship if your order is large enough.
- In Montreal: Kpop Music Store has a great selection and will also ship orders – we’ve had great luck with them, they take enormous care in their shipping/packaging and often include freebies, recommended!
- In Ottawa: HaengBogGam is a pop-up shop located inside Ruby House Chinese Restaurant at 79 Montreal Road. You can check their stock on their Instagram Account and if you’d like an album or some merch, ask at the counter in the restaurant.
Online resellers also exist but are often expensive, have high shipping and duty fees, and it’s always a question whether or not your merch is legit (if the price seems too good to be true, it’s probably fake or an outright scam). Still, if you want to try other places, here are few other sites that sell stuff (this is in NO WAY AN ENDORSEMENT OF THESE SITES, shop there at your own risk). There’s always eBay and Amazon too – make sure you check the seller for lots of positive reviews and shop with caution. Unfortunately a lot of BTS DVD content is now out of print, so these kinds of resellers are your only option.
- Cokodive – always has everything BTS related as soon as it comes out, for a markup – if you missed a new official merch in the Weverse shop, you can usually catch it on Cocodive if you act quickly. We’ve heard they sometimes hit you with duty fees after the fact though so beware of extra costs.
- kPopTown – much like Cocodive, usually re-sells Weverse official stuff at a markup.
- kPop Mart – also a reseller of official merch but their site can be confusing as it shows all items – even those that they don’t have current stock of – so don’t get too excited when you see long-lost BTS merch listed here!
- A-Kpop – great source for cute BT21 stuff as well as other official and unofficial merch. Has most of the official stuff from Weverse at a markup – plus they are in Korea so shipping is rough. Clearly mark what is official versus unofficial and almost always have everything they show in stock, which is awesome.
- KTown 4 U – a good Seoul-based site for a wide range of kPop acts, CDs plus other merch, pretty pricey though.
- Daebak Box – wide variety of Korean merch – this is a great place to shop if you are into kDramas and want kDrama stuff. Has a lot of more unusual stuff and also sells “surprise boxes” as a subscription which can be fun.
- ARMY Merch Shop – this is third party stuff for the most part, but fun and not too expensive. Lots of cute knock-off photocard sets.
- CATCHOP-CD – American shop that carries mostly CDs but at really great prices.
- DeepDiscount – Not specifically a kPop shop but has lots of kPop stuff, and sometimes rarer stuff if you catch them on a lucky day
- YesAsia – This is a Chinese website so you might find your items taking a longer time to ship, but they carry CDs and DVDs as well as lots of imitation BTS jewelry and other fun fashion items.
- MusicPlaza – this is a physical store in LA that will also ship items over a certain level – they sometimes have more rare DVDs and CDs at super expensive prices but somewhat less than you’ll pay at other collector sites.
- A+ Kawaii and KPop goods is based in Toronto and will ship in Canada
- Art Box is based in Vancouver and does Canada-wide shipping as well
- Mercy Cosmetics has a small Kpop section for good prices, if you’re looking for something recent
One thing you’ll hear a lot about in terms of merch is photocards. These are collectable cards featuring one member, or sometimes the whole group. The more recent albums come with one random photocard and the online community is busy with people trading their cards or offering big bucks for a specific member. You can also get access to photocard sets in concert DVDs, on the Weverse shop on special occasions, or sometimes through having a Weverse membership.
There are also lots of Etsy shops and other fan shops online where people make their own photocards and polaroid prints, as well as adorable other fan-made merch, so if you’d like to save some money and don’t mind the knockoffs, have a look around for some cute items. Some of our fave maker shops include:
- Borahae Beads
- Unusual Company
- Private Paradise
BTS does not shy away from product endorsements. Since slapping the BTS brand on just about anything guarantees sales go through the roof, they’re in pretty high demand as salespeople. The best brands make good use of their affiliation with BTS to gift ARMY with high-quality photos and videos, so it’s usually a win all around.
Here are some of their notable endorsements and some great content that was produced to go along with these campaigns. Full list can be found here. There’s also this YouTube video compilation of many of their TV ads which is great.
|Puma||2015||Puma was their first really big brand contract and early Run BTS episodes are full of Puma sportswear. Puma gifted us with an absolutely gorgeous series of ads featuring their BOG SOCK X BTS shoe line. See the full set in this YouTube Puma Ad Playlist. |
They also designed their own shoes for Puma.
Courtstar ad here
Turin ad here; Suga version, Jin version, Hobi version, Jimin version, V version, Jungkook version, RM version, and behind the scenes
Basket ad here and here and behind the scenes
|Smart School Uniforms||2016||Horribly cringey ad with singing and dancing, it’s almost too awful to watch. But watch we shall. The girl group here is GFRIEND which was BigHit’s only girl group for a long time; the song is called Family Song. You can also see clips of BTS performing it live in June 2016 and they are SO WONDERFULLY CRINGEY you will definitely want to see it from every angle possible. Try these:|
Suga fancam in which he obviously welcomes death
These were part of the Smart Uniform Camping Event on 20160604 and you can watch the whole thing, including performances of Save Me and Fire, here.
|SK Telecom||2016||Private school ad; compilation of all ads in this campaign here, plus Bangtan Bomb of them filming it|
They also did this super cool and legendary ad for SK Telecom phone cards with Jessi, who is a beloved female solo rapper in Korea. Jessi is quite a character and has a couple of other appearances with BTS, as well as her own hilarious and chaotic talk show where TXT and other kPop acts have appeared.
There’s also this VarietT song which kind of bops from the same time period/campaign.
|Genesis BBQ Chicken||2016||Just terrible. Watch at your own risk. There are several in this series including an ASMR challenge. Here’s one with a cheesy beach song. And this one with them all crying overdramatic tears is legendary. Also whatever this is. There’s also this funny clip of each of them begging you to watch the commercial for the next 30 seconds.|
|Lotte Duty Free||2017||Lotte Duty Free is an online shopping website and they have a big “Family Concert” every spring. BTS has appeared at this concert annually since 2018.|
2018 also here
Also they did a commercial called Beautiful for Lotte in 2018, it’s rather cringy, brace yourself.
They also made a whole song called “You’re so Beautiful” for a Lotte ad back in 2018.
|Visit Seoul||2017 through to 2020||Promotional videos for visiting Seoul, Korea.|
2017 – Life In Seoul
BTS wrote a song for this series called With Seoul.
Making of With Seoul
2018 – Seoul Playlist
2019 – Share Seoul
2020 – See You In Seoul – also a making of
|VT Cosmetics||2017 to 2019||Lots of different products, from skin care to BT21 branded makeup to hand cream to 7 different scents of perfume.|
|Mediheal||2017||This is for a line of face masks – if you watch any of the Bon Voyage seasons, you’ll know BTS are big fans of face masks! This making of video is sooooo pretty.|
|KB Bank Liiv||2018||I don’t really know what this is for, but they created a series of “telepathy” interviews called My Pick that are very cute.|
|Coke||2018||Series of ads in Korea|
Later, in 2020, the vocal line recorded a cover of Jungle by X Ambassadors for an Indonesian Coke ad
|HY Fresh||2018||HY Fresh has a line of bottled coffee called Cold Brew by Babinski, created by Charles Babinski, who won the US barista competition in 2015. In 2018, they teamed up with BTS to create three new flavours – Gold Latte, Vanilla Latte, and Americano – which you can still buy in bottles with the member’s faces on it. You can sometimes see them drinking this during In The Soop.|
|Hyundai||2019||Compilation here of their cute Palisade ads|
|Hyundai||2020||Earth Day – Because of You video – soooo beautiful|
For The Earth
Positive Energy Challenge
|Hyundai||2020||I’m On It – original song for the IONIQ car ad|
|Chilsung Cider||2020||A major sponsor of In The Soop and you’ll see them drink it a lot here. They also made some cute dancing commercials.|
|Lemona||2020||Lemona is a Vitamin C powder you take as a kind of vitamin – you just pour the lemon flavoured powder directly into your mouth as a daily supplement. You can get boxes and cannisters with the members’ faces on it.|
|Samsung||2020||Samsung really knows how to work with BTS and has made some top notch commercials, including this series for the Galaxy Note:|
The Strange Tailor Shop – clothing shop battle between Jin and JK
A Piece of Cake – baking with Suga, V, and j-hope
La Parfumerie – making perfume with RM and Jimin
And this cute one of them snapping pics
|Tokopedia||2020/2021||Tokopedia is an online sales website in Indonesia and their content with BTS is really good. Fun games, interviews, plus musical performances, for example here is their Jenga interview from 2021|
|Baskin Robbins||2020||Bora Bora flavour ad|
RM and Suga ad
RM and Suga interview
Jimin and JK interview
Hobi, V, Jin interview
|Formula E||2020/2021||Formula E is an electric car race in Korea – BTS were their spokesmen. |
Cool ad with them as race car drivers
New Year’s wishes
Announcement of postponement to 2022
|BodyFriend||2020||Very funny ads for a chair massager|
|Fila||2020/2021||Fila have been sponsors of BTS for a while now and you’ll see them wearing full Fila wear on Run BTS a lot of the time. Fila releases high quality photo shoots regularly and some video content too.|
You can see all BTS related ads on the Fila Korea YouTube Channel. Linking to just some of them below – if you want to see all, head to their channel. For most of their campaigns (4 times a year), there is a main ad and then a matching individual ad for each of the 7 members.
Fila X BTS main ad
Fila on the Street main ad
Fila on the Street – JK version / V version / Jimin version / RM version /J-hope version / Suga version / Jin version
Also each member has a “Fila on the Street – get ready version” of their individual ad
Go Beyond main ad
JK version / V version / Jimin version / RM version /J-hope version / Suga version / Jin version
Neuron main ad
Neuron Ad – JK version / Neuron Ad – V version / Neuron Ad – Jimin version / Neuron Ad – RM version / Neuron Ad – jhope version / Neuron Ad – SUGA version / Neuron Ad – Jin version
This is Our Summer main ad
Also individual ads plus two behind the scenes videos – playlist here
Walk with Fila main ad
Reverse X Rebirth main ad
Back to Nature main ad – there’s also a bunch of making of clips for this one
Now ON behind the scenes clip
New Beginning main ad
Runner’s Instinct main ad
Run Your Race main ad
110 Years of Fila black and white ad
Find Your Basics main ad
Explore Now main ad
Find Your Winter main ad – Yoongi in glasses! Jungkook playing the drums!
Dynamite clothing line has some stunning ads
Group Dynamite Full Ad
This teaser is adorable too
|Coway||2021||Coway makes furniture and home appliances and seems like a weird match for BTS. But they did produce an excellent series of ads featuring BTS as Husbands (just kidding, but that definitely is the vibe)|
Compilation of all.
V and Jimin water purifier
RM and Jin water purifier
Making of – Hobi, Suga, JK
Making of – Jimin, V, RM, Jin
Mattress pad ads
Another making of film
Matress ad – and another one
|Smart||April 2021||Series of ads in the Philippines for Simple Smart ako – prepaid phone cards. A really awesome ad, plus some interview clips, like this one about The Secret of Teamwork and this behind the scenes clip.|
|Kloud Beer||2021||Did a cool photo shoot, also an ad with all of them, plus each has his own individual ad|
Making Of film
Behind the scenes filming for each individual member were released as well – find these on the Kloud Beer YouTube Channel
|Hyundai||2021||For Tomorrow We Won’t Wait Earth Day ad|
Welcome to the Family – robot ad featuring an original BTS song
Hangeul Day video – clips of all of them writing a message to the world
Bubble making (I think this was originally an Instagram reel)
|Louis Vitton||2021||Ambassadors for the Louis Vitton brand. |
Splashy video launching their winter 2021 line from July, 2021.
Behind the scenes/making of clip
|McDonalds||2021||BTS meal – the chicken nugget meal – released late May 2021 with special BTS-inspired sauces (sweet chili and cajun) and branded packaging.|
There was a photo set, a commercial, and a making-of video.
|Samsung||2021||Galaxy phone ads|
Suga, Jimin, and Jungkook – Night Epic
V, j-hope, Jin, RM – Day Epic
Unfold promo clip and another Unfold teaser
Full Unfold commercial
Clip of SUGA talking about how he rearranged “Over the Horizon” – the Samsung default ringtone – for the Z series – full audio of the new ringtone here – they also released this very pretty “humming” version
|Xylitol Gum||2021||A cute series of commercials showing the boys as a sitcom family.|
Smile series preview
Introducing the Cast clip
Travel series clips
|Smash||2021||Smash is a Japanese App for posting and sharing short videos (like TikTok). Starting in June 2021 they introduced the idea of “smash city” and invited BTS to make short videos showing how they would spend their (imaginary) downtime/vacation time in the fictional smash city. These videos are available on the smash app (currently only available in Japan, Korea, and the United States) – some are free but most require you to be a paying member to view them.|
Preview of all episodes, and more
These are the actual episodes – each member has a morning, afternoon, and evening clip, plus they released a special clip for each member’s birthday starting with JK. Smash has been aggressive about having these taken down from YouTube, so your best best is to search YouTube and/or Twitter see if there are any recent re-postings.
Jimin makes coffee, Jimin takes a selfie, Jimin tries out a spinny chair and falls asleep, Jimin goes stargazing (special birthday post)
Jin naps, Jin wakes up then makes kimbap, Jin has an over-the-top slow-motion drink of seltzer, Jin goes stargazing (special birthday post)
Jungkook exercises, Jungkook eats desserts, Jungkook goes stargazing (special birthday post), JungKook plays guitar
Suga plays with a puppy, Suga does hula hooping, Suga decorates a cake
RM takes care of plants, RM picks out an outfit, RM goes stargazing (special birthday post), RM makes juice
j-hope makes breakfast, j-hope plays chess, j-hope practices darts
V selects a pair of glasses, V reads a secret book, V listens to music, V goes stargazing (special birthday post)
Try here for the morning set
Try here for the night set
Try here for a full set
|Seoul X BTS||2021||EoGiYeongCha – a gorgeous ad as travel to Seoul begins to reopen, featuring an original song. EoGiYeongCha is a cheer in Korean to urge people to have strength and hang in there.|
Plus behind the scenes, plus interview clip
|Shinhan Play||2021||I actually have no idea what this is advertising – I think it’s phone cards?|
But the ad is just GORGEOUS.
Plus this other clip that is so so pretty
Yet another beautiful ad, these guys knew what they were doing
Here’s a series featuring each individual member, too.
|Made By BTS||2022||In January 2022, BTS caused a buying frenzy by introducing a line of products they had designed themselves. Available through the Weverse Shop, everything was sold out literally in seconds, but you might see resale merch at an absolutely ridiculous price online. Each product release had a very cute “shopping channel” style video too.|
RM: wind chime featuring a fish bun; grey and black jogger pants
Jin: “angel” and “devil” themed pajamas, and a matching foam pillow set
Suga: BTS/ARMY logo silver necklaces shaped like guitar picks; writing pad/folder with purple pen
j-hope: Cross-body bag in acid wash denim; set of four cubic plant pots with HOPE lettering in them
Jimin: You Never Walk Alone/Seven With You purple hoodie; silver double hoop earrings with red mark
V: brown leather “MUTE” Boston bag with scarf decoration; three sets of pins featuring V’s doodles (Cloud, Flowers, Faces)
Jungkook: ARMYST oversized hoodie with uneven hem in multiple colours; Mikrokosmos themed mood lamp and Bluetooth speaker
|Samsung||2022||Galaxy x BTS recycling ad|
|Free Fire||2022||Free Fire is an online Battle Royale game and BTS did a collab with them where they designed their own characters and skins.|
BTS picks out their characters
BTS designs their own skins
|Hyundai||2022||Goal of the Century ad for FIFA 2022 and Hyundai, narrated by RM|
|Coway||2022||Coway continues their top-notch “BTS as your husband” series into 2022.|
Teaser for their 2022 series – featuring mullet JK!